Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Just One Meal...



January is a great time to focus on your health, as we all feel that sense of renewal and a "clean slate" start-over. Rather than jumping into a strict diet that consists only of twigs & berries, why not start with JUST ONE MEAL? We eat (in theory) twenty one meals per week, right? (As an aside, if you are skipping breakfast, please start with adding IN that meal before anything else.)

I would like to suggest that you commit to having ONE vegetarian meal per week, and ONE meal that includes FISH as an entree. Vegetarian meals do not need to be bland, by the way. Picture a delicious taco salad, but with beans instead of beef or chicken. I often have the do-it-yourself version of this at home by making nachos loaded up with beans, onions, lettuce & tomatoes. Or you might try a colorful collection of veggies sautéed in olive oil and serve them over a bed of pasta or rice. I find that keeping bags of chopped onions, shredded carrots and bite-sized tomatoes minimizes my prep time and therefore makes it far more likely that I will include them in my lunch when I only have ten or fifteen minutes to prepare & eat it.

BOTTOM LINE: Make permanent changes in your diet by starting with ONE MEAL per week...and then feel free to increase that frequency as you enjoy these healthy, delicious meals!

No comments: