Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cover the clock!

What is the most useful information you've ever received from a doctor? Well, I saw yet another patient today who told me this was the best advice I had given them, so I thought I should share it here. COVER THE CLOCK!
If you are having trouble sleeping, whether it's difficulty falling asleep or problems with waking up every morning at 3:17am (and isn't it amazing how accurate our internal clocks can be when they get stuck on a frustrating awakening time?), one simple piece of advice is to cover your clock. Cover it- turn it around- whatever it takes so you simply cannot see the time. You'll be amazed how well this works! You may still wake up, but without seeing the time, you don't start that whole cycle of "oh my gosh, it's 3:17am, and here I am awake again, and I'll never be able to function today, and I'm so tired, and look, now it's 3:19am..."
Of course, if you're like me, you'll need to double and triple check that your alarm is set before you turn the clock away from you (or cover it), but that's okay. It will likely take you several nights to break your cycle of awakening, but if you don't "cheat" and sneak a peak at the time, you'll be sleeping better before you know it.
BOTTOM LINE: COVER THE CLOCK to improve your sleep!

No comments: