Happy New Year and Welcome to 2018!
This year, my theme is SIMPLE. Attention spans are decreasing as fast as our waistlines are increasing (coincidence? Hmm). With tongue firmly planted in cheek, I'm putting everything in my life on a "diet"- or at least a simplification plan, from our overflowing garage and closets, to medicine cabinets, to e-mail in-boxes, to my blog word count, and yes, my own body. Like many, I happily over-indulged in treats, sweets and celebratory liquid calories during the holidays, but now it's time to face the scale, own the numbers and get to work.
How do I kick start my own weight loss program?
Dr. Grimes' Master Supreme Cleansing 3-Day Detox Diet*:
SIMPLY PUT: Drink water, and eat fruits, vegetables, and a protein source at every meal.
Yep, that's it. Processed foods are eliminated. This "cleanse" is automatically gluten-free and dairy-free (which helps those with undiagnosed celiac disease or lactose intolerance). Skip everything with high fructose corn syrup and additives or chemicals you can't pronounce. Skip carbonation, caffeine and alcohol. Yes. Those are extras our body does not need. If you are going to get a caffeine-withdrawal headache, keep one cup of coffee but drink it plain- no sugar, cream, etc. Feel free to add a lemon, lime or orange wedge to your water if you want flavor. Please skip sugar substitutes (aspartame, etc.) We are going for a "cleanse" here!
What counts as a protein source?
- Eggs, fish, nuts, beans or lean meat
- Absolutely! This is not a "raw food" diet, but a simplified diet. Feel free to use olive oil (one to two tablespoons should be enough per meal), salt, pepper, or herbs to season and cook the protein or veggies.
- Limit your protein to a serving roughly the size of your expanded, cupped hand (at each meal)
- Fruits and vegetables? No maximum, but a minimum of two servings per meal (a handful is one serving.)
- Eat four meals: (essentially breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner.)
- Make sure your first meal is within an hour of waking up.
- One large glass with each meal, and any time you are thirsty (no maximum)
Bottom Line: If you're looking to "cleanse" your body for a few days, keep it SIMPLE and stick to water, fruits, veggies, and simple proteins (eggs, beans or meat) for a healthy jump start!