Monday, April 5, 2010

STD AWARENESS MONTH! Myth #2 Tough cookies...


April is STD Awareness month, so I plan to blog about the common myths and misperceptions about sexually transmitted diseases. Myth #1 was addressed on April Fool's Day- STDs do NOT come from toilet seats.

Myth #2- Oral sex doesn't "count". Believe me, when it comes to passing disease, "ORAL" counts BIG time! I can't tell you how often I hear patients cry "But that's impossible, I haven't had sex yet!" when I diagnose them with genital herpes. Herpes is not the only disease you can pass via oral sex, but it certainly is the most common one that I see in my practice. In fact, trichomonas is the only sexually transmitted infection that is NOT passed via oral-genital contact.

So, realize that while oral sex by itself may not put you at risk for pregnancy, it absolutely carries with it the risk of infection.

BOTTOM LINE: Oral sex can and often DOES transmit infection- especially herpes.

No comments: