Friday, January 1, 2010

With a Rebel Yell...More, More, MORE!

Happy New Year! With apologies to Billy Idol, let me suggest a new framework for the most popular New Year’s Resolution - dieting. Instead of focusing on restricting calories, fats, carbs, or protein, why not focus on eating MORE fruits and veggies? We all know that a carrot is better for our bodies than a hot fudge sundae if we are trying to lose weight. But what happens when we tell ourselves “NO dessert” or “NO nachos and margaritas” or “NO ‘whatever’?” Well, I don’t know about you, but for me, the second I say “NO”, I immediate crave that item! And if I don’t crave it, at a minimum I will feel pathetic and deprived.
This year, set yourself up for success. Start with the simple goal of eating a minimum of five servings of fruits and vegetables per day. A serving is simply what will fit in your open, cupped hand, so a salad with a cup of lettuce, a handful of shredded carrots and a bunch of cherry tomatoes might be three servings. Add in a smoothie (typically made with a banana and some other fruit) and you’re already up to five servings for the day!
BOTTOM LINE: Push yourself to add more healthy foods to your diet, rather than restricting the less healthy choices. Before long, you’ll be filling up on fruits and vegetables and feeling fit!

No comments: